News, Video

Biker Suffers Severe Burns Caused by Flick of a Cigarette: Now Recovering in Virtual Reality

A young biker from Milton caught fire in a crazy accident while riding his motorcycle earlier this year. He was in serious pain until recently, when a new virtual reality system arrived at USA’s Burn Center.

Caleb Dunn, 24, was riding his motorcycle in late January when someone from the car ahead of him flicked a cigarette out of the window. The cigarette flew straight into Dunn’s clothes, rolling down his back behind his sweatshirt.

Still being lit, the cigarette ignited his shirt, and within just a few seconds Dunn was in flames.

The young rider suffered massive third-degree burns all over his back, stomach, sides, and arms. He says he was going through unbearable pain at first.

USA’s Burn Center received a virtual reality system used with burn victims only. The doctors say virtual reality is very captivating, in fact, so captivating that it completely grabs the senses and stimulates the mind to surpass thoughts of pain.

It literally makes you forget about the pain.

 “It’s definitely a distraction,” said Dunn for WKRG. “You’re thinking about the game, how to operate it, how to win the game, it’s definitely a distraction. It takes your mind into another world, literally.”

Check out the video report from WKRG!

These photos are graphic, viewer discretion is advised.

You may help Dunn with his medical expenses at his GoFund me page, and there is also a Poker Run happening on Sunday to benefit this young rider. Find more info on this Facebook page.


Sources: WKRG, WEAR-TV